The church of San Salvatore, part of the monastic complex of San Salvatore -Santa Giulia, constitutes one of the most important surviving examples of Early Medieval religious architecture still standing.
Points of Interest: Churches
It was built at the end of the XI century on the ruins of the winter basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore. The central block is formed of two cylindrical parts of stone, one on top of the other; the circular ambulatory still has the original doorways, which are lower than the present street level, and has large arched windows, while the upper tambour has smaller windows and is relieved above by pilaster strips and small arches in brick, on which the roof rests.
This is one of the finest examples of convent churches in Italy. Its simple, unadorned style reflects the quietness and serenity typical of Franciscan life. The church, which was finished in 1265, is in late-Romanesque style. The nave is separated from two aisles by ogive arches supported by cylindrical pilasters. The gabled façade has a magnificent rose window in the middle. At the end of the 15th century the right aisle was completed with five elegant altars.
The façade of this church, in Botticino marble, is considered a jewel of Renaissance sculpture in Lombardy. The church itself was built to commemorate the miraculous image of the Madonna in a nearby house, which can now be seen in the apse, framed with polychrome marble.
The Oratorian Friars began building the church in 1522 and gave it a simple facade embellished by a magnificent portal from the order's old church , which had been destroyed by demolition work carried out in the Venetian period to clear the area of Borgo Pile. The stone portal, decorated in Lombard style of the second half of the XV century, still has the wooden doors made by Filippo Morari of Cremona dated 1490. The interior has a nave and two aisles and is sumptuously decorated with plaster work and about 350 frescos in late mannerist to early baroque style.
The church was founded in the 4thcentury by San Gaudenzio, Bishop of Brescia, rebuilt between 1440 and 1447 and then altered in the 17thcentury. The facade with its severe 15thcentury lines has a stone doorway with an arch resting on two early 16thcentury columns. On each side of the doorway there are pointed arches taken from the tombs of the Maggi family in Paitone.
In 1622 Antonio and Domenico Comino built the present church dedicated to the patron saints of the city on the site of previous church buildings that had been demolished. The bell-tower of the old church was kept and maintains the original structure in local limestone up to the first belfry.The richly marble-decorated facade, begun in 1698 and finished by 1711, is considered Bernardo Fedrighini’s masterpiece. The interior, which was constructed between 1622 and 1629, is divided into a nave and two aisles by fourteen monolithic columns and has side chapels and frescos – the ones over the choir in the chancel by the quadraturist Girolamo Mengozzi Colonna and by Gian Domenico Tiepolo are particularly fine; they represent the apparition and martyrdom of Saints Faustino and Giovita.