This church was built between 1720 and 1746, when it was consecrated by Bishop Angelo Maria Querini. Although the façade was left unfinished, the interior is considered one of the finest examples of 18th century architecture - a masterpiece of the Venetian Giorgio Massari. The long nave has a cupola in the middle and large chapels on both sides. The interior space is measured out by columns which give the church a solemn air; the splendid frescoes and decorations do not detract from the harmony of the architectural design.
Points of Interest: Churches
CHURCH OF SANT'ANGELA MERICI
Only the 18th-century bell-tower remains of the original monastery of Sant'Agostino. The façade, which was re-built in the 15th century (of brick and stone in horizontal bands), was later altered by the addition of other buildings, leaving visible only the terracotta pinnacles on the west side. The 18th-century façade and entrance overlook via Cairoli. The interior was decorated with trompe-l'oeil baroque frescoes from 1747 onwards.
Built at the end of the 13th century in a Romanesque style, the church belonged to the Avogadro family: they lived in the neighbouring palace, which now houses the Catholic University. It was damaged by a bombing raid during World War II. On the outside there are small earthenware arches intertwining under the cornice that goes all round the building. On the façade (spoilt by the large rectangular window) there is a stone portal surmounted by a rounded arch. On the right hand side of the building there is a small Romanesque door with a cross in high relief.
The small entrance opens under the face of Porta Bruciata tower, in Via dei Musei. The name of the church was coined after a religious procession that took place at the beginning of the 9th century: it carried the relics of Faustino and Giovita saints – patrons of Brescia – and stopped here on its way towards San Faustino Maggiore.
Erected at the end of the 12th century on a preexisting chapel, the church has a round plan rebuilt in the 18th and 19th century. The altarpiece on the main altar, Vergine con Bambino tra i Santi Faustino e Giovita (Virgin Mary and Child between the Saints Faustino and Giovita), was painted by Domenico Romani in 1743. The church, full of ex-voto, hosts in its left chapel an image of the Virgin Mary that is fondly cherished by devotees in Brescia.
The original outside architecture, visible where the street widens, presents a cylindrical stone building covered with a cone-shaped roof with a denticular cornice in cotto tiles. There it stands a cylindrical bell tower with four small mullioned windows, covered with a pinnacle decorated with another denticular cornice in cotto tiles.