The present loggia was built to replace the previous one built between 1434 and 1436. The first stone was laid in 1492 with a solemn ceremony and the building work continued until about 1570, under the supervision of numerous architects: Tommaso Formentone, then Gasparo da Coirano, Andrea Palladio, Jacopo Sansovino, Galeazzo Alessi, Giovanni Rusconi and Ludovico Beretta.
Points of Interest: Palaces
The palace, which was the seat of government at the time of the City States and Seigniories, is the result of several different building operations which went on for roughly a century. It has a complex layout round internal courtyards, within an area of about 100 x 75 metres. The south side, which fronts Via Cardinale Querini, along the left-hand side of the cathedral, corresponds to the ancient "Palatium Novum Maius" (1223 - 1227), which was considerably altered , above all in the XVII century.
Palazzo Martinengo is an aristocratic building located on the crossing between Via Musei, an ancient Roman road, and Piazza del Foro, where the Martinengo Cesaresco family settled in the 16th century. The severe façades of the two main parts of the building towards Via Musei and Piazza del Foro were designed in the 17th century according to the typical style of the previous century, traces of which can be found on the inside. Through the different structures of the various periods that can still be seen in the underground rooms of the building, the visitor can witness the complex building processes that the area had been subjected to between the iron age and the middle ages, with the 16th century building then built within a completely different urban plan and a different floor level.
Upon entering Via Dante Alighieri, an ancient road rich in aristocratic buildings that unfortunately were damaged during the 2nd world war bombings, at number 17 we find the Palazzo Martinengo di Padernello, today Salvadego, the grandest private residence in Brescia. Its construction took such a long time that it was called “il palazzo della fabbrica” (the factory building).