Comune di Brescia tourism website: useful information about what to see and where to go.

  • English
  • Français
  • Deutsch
  • Español
  • Italiano

Points of Interest: Squares

Piazza del Foro

Mon, 22/10/2012 - 15:20 -- Chiara
Piazza del Foro, a rendering
When Brescia was under Roman rule, this square was the centre both of religious and political life.  The Capitolium temple, prominently situated at the north end, had an arcade with a double order of columns, as can be seen from the remains of the arches on the former ground level.  The Basilica (the law courts) was situated on the south side: remains of this edifice can be seen incorporated into the nearby houses in Piazza Labus.
The magnificent Piazza del Foro was traversed by the “Decumanus Massimus” (nowadays Via dei Musei) which ran from Bergamo to Verona.
The Church of San Zeno in Foro faces onto this road. It has a small churchyard enclosed by railings with statues of intertwined dolphins; inside the church a collection of paintings deserves attention.
 

Piazza Paolo VI (formerly Piazza del Duomo)

Mon, 22/10/2012 - 16:05 -- Chiara
Brescia Piazza Paolo VI

This square, which dates back to the Middle Ages, is the heart of the city; it contains important historical buildings which symbolize the city's concern with civil rights as well as its religious tradition. The palace of Broletto, which incorporates the municipal tower and the loggia delle grida, exteds along the eastern side as well as two cathedrals - the Duomo Nuovo (the New Cathedral) and the Duomo Vecchio (the Old Cathedral). The Palace of the Broletto is the oldest municipal building in the city and was the centre of political life when Brescia was a city-state. It has a square ground plan with an internal courtyard which was built in stages from the Middle Ages up to the XVII century, when an open bossed arcade was added to the north side.

Piazza della Loggia

Mon, 22/10/2012 - 15:10 -- Chiara
Piazza della Loggia
It is the most beautiful square in Brescia and was inaugurated in 1433.
It is dominated by the magnificent Renaissance Palace of the Loggia, nowadays the town hall. Its building began in 1492. The upper part was finished circa 1570 to the design of Jacopo Sansovino and Andrea Palladio. The splendid decorative sculpture that adorns the palace is in classical style.
On the south side, the 15th and 16th century façades of the Monti di Pietà  are worthy of note as tombstones and other pieces of Roman stonework have been set into their walls.

Piazza della Vittoria

Mon, 22/10/2012 - 14:40 -- Chiara
Brescia, Piazza della Vittoria
This grandiose square, designed by the Roman architect Marcello Piacentini and inaugurated in 1932, was built on the site of a dilapidated popular quarter which was demolished in order for the city centre to be cleaned  up. The Post Office building and the brick Torrione (high tower) with its imitation loggias dominate the square. The façades of the buildings, the paving of the Quadriportico and the wide arcade are all made from highly-polished marble in two contrasting colours.
The Arengario, a red stone pulpit decorated with bas-reliefs, was erected in front of the geometric flight of steps which links the north-east of the square to the rest, which is at a lower ground level: it was used by public speakers during city assemblies.
 

Piazza del Mercato

Mon, 22/10/2012 - 14:59 -- Chiara
Piazza del Mercato
This square has been the site of a market since 1428, when the small business activities of the area were grouped together there.
The west side is dominated by the elegant, baroque façade of the Palazzo Martinengo Palatino (XVIIth century) with its raised central section. Nowadays the building houses the University Chancellor's office.
The plain buildings with their arcade were built to the design of the architect Lodovico Beretta in the mid-VIth century.

Piazzetta Curt dei Pulì

Wed, 23/09/2015 - 12:03 -- Laura
Brescia, Piazzetta Curt dei Pulì

According to tradition a member of the Polini noble family, after dueling against one of the Savoia, was forced to leave Piedmont to settle in Brescia. Here, he bought some houses in Via Rossovera and Corso Mameli, which form the so called “Corte dei Polini”. Other documents report that the owner of these houses was a pelt merchant called Cristoforo Polini, whose descendants built in the 18th century the palace bearing their same name in Via Moretto.

Piazza Tebaldo Brusato

Thu, 11/09/2014 - 15:59 -- Anonimo (not verified)
Brescia, Piazza Tebaldo Brusato

In medieval times this was a large orchard to the south of the Monastic Complex of Santa Giulia. From 1173 it was the only square in the city which was permitted to hold a market and was called "Piazza del Mercato Nuovo" (New Market Square). Subsequently new buildings for small businesspeople and craftsmen were constructed in the area.
During the following centuries the function of the square changed and the buildings overlooking it, such as the splendid Palazzo Cigola (nowadays Fenaroli), were built for the aristocratic families. Both façades of this building are of similar style, although they were built in different centuries. The XVIth-century wing of the building, which has a portal with imposing telamons supporting a richlydecorated stone balcony, looks onto Via Carlo Cattaneo: the other wing, built the following century, faces onto the square.

Piazzale Arnaldo

Thu, 11/09/2014 - 15:00 -- Anonimo (not verified)
Brescia, piazzale Arnaldo

This XIXth-century square, which is called after the famous monk, Arnaldo of Brescia, is a significant example of urbanisation combining "public utility" with "magnificence".
The vast square and the adjoining long building with its arcade were built to provide an area for the corn market, which was previously held in Piazza Loggia and then in Via San Faustino. The Corn Warehouse, inaugurated in 1823, is considered one of the finest examples of Brescian neo-classical construction, with its solemn row of bossed arches and a fountain at each end. The building was 111 metres long and included twelve storage-rooms in the basement and as many again on the ground floor.To the granary store was added a toll house, effectively closing off the square.