Points of Interest
One of the city symbols, the tower was built in 1248 and is rated amongst the Middle Ages most important monuments. Constructed using remains of Roman buildings along the pre-existing medieval walls in order to protect the so called “San Giovanni” door, the tower is 31 meters high and has a 10.6 meters square plan. It carried out the function of municipal treasure storage, rationing warehouse, and prison too. The bell area was added in the XV century, while in the XVI century the fountain in Via Pace was embedded in its base.
The Oratorian Friars began building the church in 1522 and gave it a simple facade embellished by a magnificent portal from the order's old church , which had been destroyed by demolition work carried out in the Venetian period to clear the area of Borgo Pile. The stone portal, decorated in Lombard style of the second half of the XV century, still has the wooden doors made by Filippo Morari of Cremona dated 1490. The interior has a nave and two aisles and is sumptuously decorated with plaster work and about 350 frescos in late mannerist to early baroque style.
The church was founded in the 4thcentury by San Gaudenzio, Bishop of Brescia, rebuilt between 1440 and 1447 and then altered in the 17thcentury. The facade with its severe 15thcentury lines has a stone doorway with an arch resting on two early 16thcentury columns. On each side of the doorway there are pointed arches taken from the tombs of the Maggi family in Paitone.
In 1622 Antonio and Domenico Comino built the present church dedicated to the patron saints of the city on the site of previous church buildings that had been demolished. The bell-tower of the old church was kept and maintains the original structure in local limestone up to the first belfry.The richly marble-decorated facade, begun in 1698 and finished by 1711, is considered Bernardo Fedrighini’s masterpiece. The interior, which was constructed between 1622 and 1629, is divided into a nave and two aisles by fourteen monolithic columns and has side chapels and frescos – the ones over the choir in the chancel by the quadraturist Girolamo Mengozzi Colonna and by Gian Domenico Tiepolo are particularly fine; they represent the apparition and martyrdom of Saints Faustino and Giovita.
Since 1988 the Visconti Keep houses the municipal Luigi Marzoli Arms Museum, one of the most important of its kind in Europe because of the wealth of XV and XVI arms and armour and XVII and XVIII guns in its collections. The exhibits, of great historical and artistic interest, are set out in various sections according to type and period. there are about six hundred items on display offering significant examples of both Milanese arms production and that of Brescia, which boasts a centuries-old tradition in the sector.
Since 1996, the mission of the Museo Diocesano has been to assure the safeguard and custody of religious artworks which had been housed in precarious church buildings that had been closed, were dilapidated or unsafe. The permanent collections on the first floor are divided into four sections: paintings and sculptures, illuminated manuscripts, religious artefacts in precious metals and liturgical fabrics.