CHURCH OF SAN LORENZO
Points of Interest
CHURCH OF SAN LORENZO
CHURCH OF SANT'ALESSANDRO
Via Moretto, 75
This church was built between 1720 and 1746, when it was consecrated by Bishop Angelo Maria Querini. Although the façade was left unfinished, the interior is considered one of the finest examples of 18th century architecture - a masterpiece of the Venetian Giorgio Massari. The long nave has a cupola in the middle and large chapels on both sides. The interior space is measured out by columns which give the church a solemn air; the splendid frescoes and decorations do not detract from the harmony of the architectural design.
Tito Speri was a patriot and was born in Brescia in 1825.
He was one of the founders of the secret society which led the revolution against the Austrians during the so-called “Ten Days” (23rd March – 1st April 1849); he led the defence of Torrelunga door (today known as Arnaldo Square) and of the small square which was once called “dell'albera” (of the tree) and is today named after him.
The first clashes between Brescian and Austrian soldiers took place near Sant’Eufemia. Among the troops, Tito Speri stood out for his charisma and strategic skills and more than once the Brescians were able to make the Austrian army withdraw preventing them from reaching and supporting their garrisons barricaded in the Castle.
CHURCH OF SANT'ANGELA MERICI
Arnaldo was born in Brescia and devoted his life to criticizing clergy corruption and opposing to Catholic Church’s temporal power. He was a strenuous supporter of the anti-Pope and independence movement in Rome.
Banished from Italy after a sentence of the Second Lateran Council, Arnaldo da Brescia spent a long time in France and Switzerland where he met the most renowned theologians and philosophers of his time and became a disciple of the famous philosopher Pietro Abelardo.
Giuseppe Garibaldi (Nizza, 4th July 1807 - Caprera, 2nd June 1882) was an Italian general, patriot, leader and writer known as “the hero of two worlds” because of the military actions he performed both in Europe and South America. In Italy he is almost unanimously considered one of the fathers of the Nation.
The Memorial to the fallen of the “Ten Days” of Brescia is in the place where, until 1797, the high column with the lion of Venice stood as a symbol of Venetian domination of the town, and where death sentences were executed.
The monument is in memory of the popular insurrection against Austrian domination which started exactly in this square on the 23rd March 1849. Due to the ten days of its heroic resistance Brescia was granted the name of Lioness of Italy.