Comune di Brescia tourism website: useful information about what to see and where to go.

  • English
  • Français
  • Deutsch
  • Español
  • Italiano

Points of Interest

Giuseppe Mazzini

Tue, 21/11/2017 - 12:15 -- Laura
Bust of Giuseppe Mazzini, Brescia

Giuseppe Mazzini (Genoa, 22nd June 1805 – Pisa 10th March 1872) was an Italian patriot, politician and philosopher whose fundamental lessons led to the birth of a united Italian Nation.
After graduating in law at university, in 1827 he became a member of the revolutionary secret society called Carboneria, which in those years was spreading its action in Northern Italy with its patriotic ideas against Austrian domination.

Church of the Saints Cosma and Damiano

Fri, 19/10/2012 - 15:45 -- Camilla
Church of Saints Cosma and Damiano - bell tower

Only the 18th-century bell-tower remains of the original monastery of Sant'Agostino. The façade, which was re-built in the 15th century (of brick and stone in horizontal bands), was later altered by the addition of other buildings, leaving visible only the terracotta pinnacles on the west side. The 18th-century façade and entrance overlook via Cairoli. The interior was decorated with trompe-l'oeil baroque frescoes from 1747 onwards.

Angelo Maria Querini

Tue, 21/11/2017 - 12:30 -- Laura
Bust of Cardinale Angelo Maria Querini, Brescia

Angelo Maria Querini was born in Venice on the 20th March 1680.
He was a bishop, a scholar, a librarian and the heir of one of the most influential families of Venetian aristocracy.
Since his childhood he was connected with Brescia where he was welcomed at the prestigious Collegio dei Gesuiti di Sant’Antonio (Jesuit College of Saint Antony); he then joined the Benedictine order in Florence.

Fontana dei Fiumi

Thu, 23/11/2017 - 11:30 -- Laura
Fountain of the rivers,  Brescia

The Pallata Tower was built along the pre-existing Medieval walls, using the remains of Roman buildings, with the purpose of defending Porta San Giovanni (Saint John Door). It then lost its defensive purpose and became the municipal treasure safe, provisions warehouse and prison.
In 1597 Pietro Maria Bagnadore designed the fountain that was built on the Western side of the tower (the architect of Brescia was the author of the main transformation of the town in those years: the palace of the Nuovo Monte di Pietà (The New Pawnshop), the market place, etc.).

La Lodoìga

Thu, 23/11/2017 - 11:45 -- Laura
Statue of the Lodoìga, Brescia

The so-called “Lodoìga” was a sculpture probably meant to be part of the facade of Loggia Palace in Brescia.
The project designed by Jacopo Sansovino designed in consist of a balustrade enriched with two overlapping series of statues as crowning element of the facade.
The statues at the far northern and southern sides of the highest series should have represented Saints Faustino and Giovita, the city patrons, while the two statues at the centre were supposed to be the symbol of Justice and Fidelity.

Roman Basilica

Fri, 20/12/2013 - 14:18 -- Laura

The building on the northern side of Piazza Labus, which preserves the remains of Brescia Roman origins, was founded in the 17h century. In this period the building was renovated, and were also reorganised all the architectural elements from the Middle Ages that covered the then degraded Roman remains, still clearly recognizable on the palace façade. The systematic archaeological excavations carried out between 1993 and 1998 in the surrounding area brought to light large excerpts of the indoor and outdoor marble floor decorations of the Roman basilica and of the Forum from the period of Augustus. Despite the fact that these findings are fragmentary, it is possible to trace the outline of the architectural and decorative pattern of the large public building, destined to the most important civil activities of the community, among which the administration of justice. During the Flavian dynasty the basilica enclosed the southern side of the Forum as a sort of monumental entrance, linking with the side porticoes, counterbalancing the Sanctuary to the north.

Teatro San Carlino

Tue, 19/09/2017 - 14:37 -- Laura
Brescia, Teatro San Carlino

San Carlino theatre was originally a church of the SS. Trinità dei Pellegrini confraternity, and has now become an auditorium and conference venue for Brescia Provincial Administration. It was designed around 1750, as witnessed by a blueprint dated 1753, authorised and signed by the Vicar General Jacobo Soncini, six years before the first cornerstone was laid.

The Republican Sanctuary

Fri, 01/07/2016 - 14:26 -- Laura
Brescia, the Republican Sanctuary

An extraordinarily preserved monument where frescoes, mosaic floors and some furniture survived: a unique case in the whole northern Italy.
The sanctuary was composed of four separate temples, high on a podium and introduced by a pronaos accessible from separate stairs, each of them in line with the doors leading to the cultic rooms.
A stone frieze, which fragments are visible today, decorated the architrave of the four edifices. Sculpted in relief there are flower and fruit garlands with ribbons, suspended between bucrania wrapped in bands (teniae). Above each garland were presented the objects related to the sacrificial rite.

Luca Marenzio College of Music

Tue, 20/10/2015 - 12:30 -- Laura
Brescia, Luca Marenzio College and Auditorium San Barnaba

The Luca Marenzio College of Music is located in the former Augustinian monastery of San Barnaba. On the inside it presents an elegant cloister and the exquisite Salone da Cemmo, the ancient library painted with frescoes in 1490 by Pietro da Cemmo. On the western wall there is the Canonization of Saint Augustine, a coloured fresco; on the eastern and southern walls there is the Allegory of Saint Augustine, a monochrome fresco like the round and rectangular medallions with figures of saints. Note the fine wooden coffered ceiling that makes the room even more precious in its decorations.

Pages