Comune di Brescia tourism website: useful information about what to see and where to go.

  • English
  • Français
  • Deutsch
  • Español
  • Italiano

Points of Interest

The winged Victory

Wed, 12/02/2014 - 14:35 -- Laura
Brescia, Vittoria alata

It is a feminine figure, slightly turning her body to the left; she is wearing a cloth pinned on her shoulders (kiton) and a mantle (himation) wrapped around her legs.
The statue was realised with the technique known as investment casting and is composed of at least 30 parts cast separately and later soldered together. Just like in portraits, the finish touch is given with pointed tools that define traits neatly. With the technique of damascening, silver has been woven to her hair. 
It must have been created in the second half of the 1st century AD by a professional workshop specialised in bronze art in the north of Italy.
The position of the figure, with a leg slightly raised and the arms projected out, can be explained with the presence – in its original form – of some attributes that helped with the identification of the subject. The foot probably rested upon the helm of Mars, the god of war, and the left arm probably carried a shield, also supported by the flexed leg. On the shield were carved with the right hand the name and res gestae of the victor (the Romans used to portray the goddess of Victory with these characteristics.)

'Working Women', by Giacomo Ceruti, known as 'il Pitocchetto'

Tue, 11/02/2014 - 10:31 -- Laura
Brescia, 'Working Women' by Giacomo Ceruti

The large canvas “Working Women” is part of a 14 canvas collection that was documented for the first time in 1931. Back then it belonged to Bernardo Salvadego’s collection and was located in the Martinengo castle in Padernello, in the province of Brescia. Later on, the canvases were separated and acquired by different private collections such as the Lechi Museum in Montichiari and the Tosio Marinengo Art Gallery. The identification of these masterpieces led to the actual rediscovery of their author, the Milanese painter Giacomo Ceruti, who is today considered one of the major artists from 18th century Lombardy.
Known as the “Padernello cycle”, these canvases were conceived as decorative pieces for various noble palaces in Brescia only to be subsequently grouped in the 19th century. They depict humble people intent on everyday chores. This could be ascribed to the tradition of genre painting, which typically represents scenes from ordinary life: such paintings were particularly appreciated by aristocrats especially for their light and inviting tone. Nevertheless, the paintings by Ceruti dedicated to such themes (all dated to the period he spent around Brescia, between 1724 and 1735) are characterized by a completely different atmosphere.

Palazzo Salvadego

Tue, 11/06/2013 - 13:45 -- Laura
Brescia, Palazzo Salvadego

Upon entering Via Dante Alighieri, an ancient road rich in aristocratic buildings that unfortunately were damaged during the 2nd world war bombings, at number 17 we find the Palazzo Martinengo di Padernello, today Salvadego, the grandest private residence in Brescia. Its construction took such a long time that it was called “il palazzo della fabbrica” (the factory building).

Pages