San Giorgio is one of the better preserved and at the same time lesser known Romanesque churches in Brescia, standing well hidden behind the spectacular 16th century façade that acts as background to Piazza San Giorgio. It stands on the steep Cidneo slope, just outside Porta Bruciata, next to the Roman walls that climb towards the castle. The building works carried out during the Baroque period did not change the dimensions of the three-aisled church, with its three-apse presbytery and a bell tower to the east. Behind the church – under which passes the double conduit of the Roman aqueduct of Mompiano – can still be seen the remains of the large three-storey rectory dating back to the middle ages.
The church was made with excellent-quality square stones and dates back to the 12th century, attested to since 1186, and is not the first church dedicated to St. George. The existence of a Basilica Sancti Georgii before 1000 was assumed because of the dedication of the church to the warrior saint venerated by the Lombards, the relative proximity to the site of the curia dicis and the finding of a small decorated column of the 8th-9th centuries in the rectory. The excavations carried out during the restoration works have recently confirmed that the foundations of the church were first laid in the early middle-ages, revealing a somewhat unexpected highly complex construction and historical stratification.
CHIESA DI S. GIORGIO
Piazzetta S. Giorgio