This is one of the finest examples of convent churches in Italy. Its simple, unadorned style reflects the quietness and serenity typical of Franciscan life. The church, which was finished in 1265, is in late-Romanesque style. The nave is separated from two aisles by ogive arches supported by cylindrical pilasters. The gabled façade has a magnificent rose window in the middle. At the end of the 15th century the right aisle was completed with five elegant altars. Between these altars remains of medieval frescoes representing the “Last Judgement”, a “Pieta`” in the style of Giotto and votive frescoes should be admired. The church is embellished with many works of art, including an altar-piece above the high altar - a masterpiece by Romanino (1515), a fresco painted by Romanino during his youth (above the first altar on the right) and a work by Moretto (1530) (above the first altar on the right). In the centre of the convent there is a splendid late-14th century cloister.
CHURCH OF S. FRANCESCO D'ASSISI
Via S. Francesco