The façade of this church, in Botticino marble, is considered a jewel of Renaissance sculpture in Lombardy. The church itself was built to commemorate the miraculous image of the Madonna in a nearby house, which can now be seen in the apse, framed with polychrome marble. Work on the shrine was begun in 1488, when its foundation stone was laid, and carried on over the centuries: the central part of the façade was completed in 1493-1500; the interior with its square ground plan, as well as some outside parts, was completed in 1560; in the 18th century the cupolas were completed and the interior decorated with plaster-work and frescoes. These, however, were almost completely destroyed by bombs in 1945. Inside the presbytery, a collection of paintings dating back to 1594 deserves attention.