The church, originally built in the 16th century, was reconstructed in 1640 and, after a few alterations in the first half of the 18th century, when the ornamental sculptures and paintings where added to the façade, was finally completed in 1825 when the imposing cross was erected on the cupola. In the second half of the 17th century the image of the “Virgin of the Terragli” was placed on the magnificent high altar, one of the finest in the city, and behind it was built a chapel similar to the Santa Casa di Loreto. The beautiful octagonal floor in polychrome marble blends in with the decorative plaster-work, the frescoes on the walls and the trompe-l'oeil effects on the cupola. Taken as a whole, the church is a magnificent example of Brescian baroque architecture.
CHURCH OF SANTA MARIA DELLA CARITÀ
Via Musei, 41