This church was built between 1720 and 1746, when it was consecrated by Bishop Angelo Maria Querini. Although the façade was left unfinished, the interior is considered one of the finest examples of 18th century architecture - a masterpiece of the Venetian Giorgio Massari. The long nave has a cupola in the middle and large chapels on both sides. The interior space is measured out by columns which give the church a solemn air; the splendid frescoes and decorations do not detract from the harmony of the architectural design.
The monumental marble altars are adorned with statues by Antonio Callegari and 18-century altar-pieces representing saints. The splendid “Presentation at the Temple” above the high altar, by one of the foremost Roman painters of the time, Pompeo Batoni, was donated to the church in 1747. The frescoes, ornaments and vestments in the sacristy deserve attention.
CHURCH OF SANTA MARIA DELLA PACE
Via Pace, 10