The construction of the new cathedral, on the site of an earlier cathedral (San Pietro de Dom), began in the first half of the 17th century. This monumental edifice was designed by the Brescian architect Gian Battista Lantana, the ground plan being that of Greek cross inscribed in a square, although some changes to the original design were made over two centuries. It was not until 1825 that the huge cupola was completed. Despite its majestic appearance, the style of the building is not homogeneous. Due to the numerous alterations carried out over the centuries and still in evidence today, the lower part of the façade is baroque, while the upper part is characterized by the classical trends of the second half of the 18th century.
Several interesting works of art are to be found inside the cathedral: “The Tomb of St. Apollonio” (c. 1510); two paintings by Romanino (between 1539 and 1541) for the organ panels of the Old Cathedral; the altar-piece by Giacinto Zoboli (1733), flanked by two statues by Antonio Callegari. On the left, in the Chapel of the Trinity, there is a grandiose altar-piece by Giuseppe Nuvolone (1679) to commemorate the plague of 1630.
THE NEW CATHEDRAL
Piazza Paolo VI