Comune di Brescia tourism website: useful information about what to see and where to go.

  • English
  • Français
  • Deutsch
  • Español
  • Italiano

Piazza della Loggia

Mon, 22/10/2012 - 15:10 -- Chiara
Tipologia: 
Piazza della Loggia
It is the most beautiful square in Brescia and was inaugurated in 1433.
It is dominated by the magnificent Renaissance Palace of the Loggia, nowadays the town hall. Its building began in 1492. The upper part was finished circa 1570 to the design of Jacopo Sansovino and Andrea Palladio. The splendid decorative sculpture that adorns the palace is in classical style.
On the south side, the 15th and 16th century façades of the Monti di Pietà  are worthy of note as tombstones and other pieces of Roman stonework have been set into their walls.
The east arcade is surmounted by a building that incorporates the beautiful sixteenth century mechanical Clock Tower, where two human figures, popularly called: the "Macc dè lé ure" (the hourly dafties), used to strike the hours on the bell.
Galleria: