This XIXth-century square, which is called after the famous monk, Arnaldo of Brescia, is a significant example of urbanisation combining "public utility" with "magnificence".
The vast square and the adjoining long building with its arcade were built to provide an area for the corn market, which was previously held in Piazza Loggia and then in Via San Faustino. The Corn Warehouse, inaugurated in 1823, is considered one of the finest examples of Brescian neo-classical construction, with its solemn row of bossed arches and a fountain at each end. The building was 111 metres long and included twelve storage-rooms in the basement and as many again on the ground floor.To the granary store was added a toll house, effectively closing off the square.
The tall statue, which was inaugurated in 1882, represents Arnaldo, the XIIth-century Brescian monk who spoke out against the corruption of the feudal clergy and was consequently persecuted and executed as a heretic. The XVIIth-century palace at 56, Corso Magenta, now houses the Liceo Classico, which is also named after Arnaldo. The rough-surfaced façade has a central portal with two half telamons supporting a stone balcony. Inside, the ample courtyard is surrounded by three arcades.
At 27, Corso Magenta, between two buildings, one built in the XIXth century, the other at the beginning of the XXth century, Palazzo Valotti can be seen through the railings, with its delightful XVIth century colonnade.
A little further on, the main entrance of Palazzo Martinengo da Barco is enclosed by magnificent wrought-iron and stone gate - one of the finest examples of Italian baroque - through which a scenographic garden can be seen.