San Carlino theatre was originally a church of the SS. Trinità dei Pellegrini confraternity, and has now become an auditorium and conference venue for Brescia Provincial Administration. It was designed around 1750, as witnessed by a blueprint dated 1753, authorised and signed by the Vicar General Jacobo Soncini, six years before the first cornerstone was laid.
The theatre is close to the palace built in 1721 upon request of count Giacinto Martinengo Colleoni, Marquis of Pianezza, to replace the ancient houses of a noble branch of the Porcellaga family. Giacinto married Cornelia Porcellaga, heir of the family, and replaced the ancient oratory of Confraternita dei Disciplini – a Lombard religious confraternity – which bordered the Porcellaga estate and occupied an area that Giacinto destined to the building of the palace. The confraternity sold the oratory in exchange for a building area to the north of the Martinengo’s new palace. The cornerstone was laid by Monsignor Andrea Duranti bishop of Chitro in 1759. The temple was consecrated by the bishop of Brescia Cardinal Molin in 1768. The Confraternita dei Disciplini was part of the SS. Trinità dei Pellegrini confraternity in Rome: the building was dedicated to the Holy Trinity and to St. Charles Borromeo, it was named San Carlino to distinguish it from the church of San Carlo annexed to Casa di Dio.
TEATRO SAN CARLINO
Corso Matteotti, 6