The church was completely reconstructed in the 18th century to the design of Domenico Carbone. The façade (1776) has typically classical lines. The vault is decorated with trompe-l'oeil frescoes and three paintings by Sante Cattaneo. The high altar, where works by the sculptor Antonio Callegari may be admired, is an example of Lombard rococo with its abundance of decoration. Among the paintings, the ‘Martyrdom of Sant'Afra” by Paolo Veronese deserves special mention.
This church was built between 1720 and 1746, when it was consecrated by Bishop Angelo Maria Querini. Although the façade was left unfinished, the interior is considered one of the finest examples of 18th century architecture - a masterpiece of the Venetian Giorgio Massari. The long nave has a cupola in the middle and large chapels on both sides. The interior space is measured out by columns which give the church a solemn air; the splendid frescoes and decorations do not detract from the harmony of the architectural design.