This is one of the finest examples of convent churches in Italy. Its simple, unadorned style reflects the quietness and serenity typical of Franciscan life. The church, which was finished in 1265, is in late-Romanesque style.
This church was built between 1720 and 1746, when it was consecrated by Bishop Angelo Maria Querini. Although the façade was left unfinished, the interior is considered one of the finest examples of 18th century architecture - a masterpiece of the Venetian Giorgio Massari. The long nave has a cupola in the middle and large chapels on both sides. The interior space is measured out by columns which give the church a solemn air; the splendid frescoes and decorations do not detract from the harmony of the architectural design.
The Oratorian Friars began building the church in 1522 and gave it a simple facade embellished by a magnificent portal from the order's old church , which had been destroyed by demolition work carried out in the Venetian period to clear the area of Borgo Pile. The stone portal, decorated in Lombard style of the second half of the XV century, still has the wooden doors made by Filippo Morari of Cremona dated 1490. The interior has a nave and two aisles and is sumptuously decorated with plaster work and about 350 frescos in late mannerist to early baroque style.
In 1622 Antonio and Domenico Comino built the present church dedicated to the patron saints of the city on the site of previous church buildings that had been demolished. The bell-tower of the old church was kept and maintains the original structure in local limestone up to the first belfry.The richly marble-decorated facade, begun in 1698 and finished by 1711, is considered Bernardo Fedrighini’s masterpiece. The interior, which was constructed between 1622 and 1629, is divided into a nave and two aisles by fourteen monolithic columns and has side chapels and frescos – the ones over the choir in the chancel by the quadraturist Girolamo Mengozzi Colonna and by Gian Domenico Tiepolo are particularly fine; they represent the apparition and martyrdom of Saints Faustino and Giovita.
The construction of the church dates back to the 14th and 15th centuries. The Renaissance portal surmounted by baroque statues opens to reveal an imposing, harmonious sight, even though the interior contains elements from different eras: the presbytery was built in the 15th century, the vaults and gallery in the 16th century; the altars, frescoes and plaster-work belong to the 17th century and the Chapel of SS. Sacramento to the 18th century. The nave itself appears more spacious and deeper than it is, due to the architectural design of the frescoes. The altar-piece representing “Saint Agatha crucified among St. Peter, St. Paul, St. Lucy and St. Apollonia” (1522), is a masterpiece by Francesco Prata da Caravaggio.