The east side of the square is bounded by a building with an Ionic portico, surmounted by two storeys with architraved windows and enlivened by a typically Venetian use of two colours.The building, constructed where the defensive wall of the Visconti "Cittadella Nuova" (1363) once stood, was de
It is the most beautiful square in Brescia and was inaugurated in 1433.
It is dominated by the magnificent Renaissance Palace of the Loggia, nowadays the town hall. Its building began in 1492. The upper part was finished circa 1570 to the design of Jacopo Sansovino and Andrea Palladio. The splendid decorative sculpture that adorns the palace is in classical style.
On the south side, the 15th and 16th century façades of the Monti di Pietà are worthy of note as tombstones and other pieces of Roman stonework have been set into their walls.