The initiative to launch a museum dedicated to the Freccia Rossa was conceived and brought to fruition by the Association Museo delle Mille Miglia Città di Brescia, incorporated in December 1996 by the Brescia entrepreneurs Amici della Mille Miglia. Today the Association has 50 members. The new museum was opened to the public on November 10, 2004. The initiative entailed the restructuring of the monastery complex of Sant’Eufemia, which is owned by the City of Brescia, providing the opportunity of recovering a building of great archaeological, historical and architectural value that had been left in decline for many years. The location of the Museum in a site of such historical significant is totally different from all the other automobile museums: The Museo Mille Miglia conserves a history, relates a myth, and day after day provides a live testimony to a period of our past.
This grandiose square, designed by the Roman architect Marcello Piacentini and inaugurated in 1932, was built on the site of a dilapidated popular quarter which was demolished in order for the city centre to be cleaned up. The Post Office building and the brick Torrione (high tower) with its imitation loggias dominate the square. The façades of the buildings, the paving of the Quadriportico and the wide arcade are all made from highly-polished marble in two contrasting colours.
The Arengario, a red stone pulpit decorated with bas-reliefs, was erected in front of the geometric flight of steps which links the north-east of the square to the rest, which is at a lower ground level: it was used by public speakers during city assemblies.