Upon entering Via Dante Alighieri, an ancient road rich in aristocratic buildings that unfortunately were damaged during the 2nd world war bombings, at number 17 we find the Palazzo Martinengo di Padernello, today Salvadego, the grandest private residence in Brescia. Its construction took such a long time that it was called “il palazzo della fabbrica” (the factory building).
This is one of the finest examples of convent churches in Italy. Its simple, unadorned style reflects the quietness and serenity typical of Franciscan life. The church, which was finished in 1265, is in late-Romanesque style.
The Oratorian Friars began building the church in 1522 and gave it a simple facade embellished by a magnificent portal from the order's old church , which had been destroyed by demolition work carried out in the Venetian period to clear the area of Borgo Pile. The stone portal, decorated in Lombard style of the second half of the XV century, still has the wooden doors made by Filippo Morari of Cremona dated 1490. The interior has a nave and two aisles and is sumptuously decorated with plaster work and about 350 frescos in late mannerist to early baroque style.