Comune di Brescia tourism website: useful information about what to see and where to go.

  • English
  • Français
  • Deutsch
  • Español
  • Italiano

Tags : Piazza Vittoria

Brescia, Piazza della Vittoria
This grandiose square, designed by the Roman architect Marcello Piacentini and inaugurated in 1932, was built on the site of a dilapidated popular quarter which was demolished in order for the city centre to be cleaned  up. The Post Office building and the brick Torrione (high tower) with its imitation loggias dominate the square. The façades of the buildings, the paving of the Quadriportico and the wide arcade are all made from highly-polished marble in two contrasting colours.
The Arengario, a red stone pulpit decorated with bas-reliefs, was erected in front of the geometric flight of steps which links the north-east of the square to the rest, which is at a lower ground level: it was used by public speakers during city assemblies.
 
Subscribe to Tags