This square, which dates back to the Middle Ages, is the heart of the city; it contains important historical buildings which symbolize the city's concern with civil rights as well as its religious tradition. The palace of Broletto, which incorporates the municipal tower and the loggia delle grida, exteds along the eastern side as well as two cathedrals - the Duomo Nuovo (the New Cathedral) and the Duomo Vecchio (the Old Cathedral). The Palace of the Broletto is the oldest municipal building in the city and was the centre of political life when Brescia was a city-state. It has a square ground plan with an internal courtyard which was built in stages from the Middle Ages up to the XVII century, when an open bossed arcade was added to the north side.
The Oratorian Friars began building the church in 1522 and gave it a simple facade embellished by a magnificent portal from the order's old church , which had been destroyed by demolition work carried out in the Venetian period to clear the area of Borgo Pile. The stone portal, decorated in Lombard style of the second half of the XV century, still has the wooden doors made by Filippo Morari of Cremona dated 1490. The interior has a nave and two aisles and is sumptuously decorated with plaster work and about 350 frescos in late mannerist to early baroque style.